The Tire Industry Association (TIA) has scheduled eight educational sessions for the 2019 Global Tire Expo (GTE) – Powered by TIA at the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show Nov. 5-8 in Las Vegas, including one that will look at the hybrid and electric vehicle market and opportunities for independent tire dealers and repair shops.
“The educational sessions at GTE cover an array of subjects from the popular ‘Successful Tire Dealers Share Their Secrets,’ to practical service tips, to a legislative update, to ways of growing sales and connecting with the millennial generation,” said TIA CEO Roy Littlefield. “This is another opportunity for tire dealers to learn more while visiting GTE and the SEMA show.”
The seminar lineup includes:
Tuesday, Nov. 5
- Automotive at 10: Wheel Retention and RIST, 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m., Room S115-116. Panel discussion featuring Joseph Chizmar, account manager, Haltec Corp.; Don Tinker, North American business development, AME International; and Joseph Heath, technical manager, TIA. The session will focus on step-by-step procedures for securing tire and wheel assemblies to the vehicle while addressing the different tools that are used to deliver the proper torque.
- Truck Tires at 10: Truck Tire Changing Machines, 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m., Room S106-107. Presenter: Kevin Rohlwing, TIA senior vice president of training. The session will explore the pros and cons of a heavy truck tire changing machine and provide helpful tips so technicians can ensure fleets get the full benefit of eliminating the use of hand tools when demounting and mounting truck tires.
- Hybrid & Electric Vehicles: Driving Us Back to the Future, 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., Room S106-107. Presenter, Dave Crawford, president and COO, The Hybrid Shop. The session will explore emerging hybrid and electric technology, current trends and future forecasts from the perspective of the independent tire dealer.
- Tires at 2: Successful Tire Dealers Share Their Secrets, 2:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m., Room S115-116. Invited presenters include: Modern Tire Dealer’s Tire Dealer of the Year, Tire Business’ Tire Dealer Humanitarian Award winner and Tire Review’s Top Shop winner.
Wednesday, Nov. 6
- TPMS at 10: Programmable Sensors, 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m., Room S115-116. Presenters: John Amato, TPMS technical trainer, Autel North America; Anthony Babine, director of sales, northeast, Dill Air Control Products L.L.C.; Blendi Bega, sales manager, Alligator North America; Matthias Froehlich, key account manager, Huf North America; Enri Osmani, general manager North America, Hamaton Inc.; John Rice, director of TPMS products and support, 31 Incorporated; and W. Ripptoe, team leader North America, Schrader TPMS Solutions. Moderator: Shawn Pease, TIA director of automotive tire service. The session will discuss programmable sensors and remove the fear associated with the unknowns of sensor programming.
- Truck Tires at 10: Truck Tire and Wheel Assembly Balance, 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m., Room S106-107. Presenter: Kevin Rohlwing, TIA senior vice president of training. The session will outline the steps technicians can take during the mounting and inflation process to improve balance, in addition to the different methods for external balance.
- TIA 2019 Legislative Review: How New Laws and Regulations Will Impact the Tire Industry, 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m., Room S106-107. Presenters: Dr. Roy Littlefield, TIA CEO, and Roy Littlefield IV, TIA director of government affairs. The seminar will review upcoming and ongoing legislation and their impact on the tire industry and tire dealers’ businesses. Topics covered will include tire registration, repeal of the estate tax, tariffs, tax credits, automotive-related legislation and more
- Management at 2: Re-engage Profitability by Engaging the New Generation Field of Study, 2:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m., Room S115-116. Presenter: Matt Winslow, senior instructor/content developer, Automotive Training Institute. The seminar will cover how to connect with millennials, staff a tire and auto service store, make sales grow, increase margins, attract business and boost profits.
In addition to these sessions, TIA will hold its annual membership meeting on Monday, Nov. 4, from 12:00 p.m. – 12:30 p.m. at Caesar’s Palace Las Vegas Hotel and Casino. That evening the association will host its annual Tire Industry Honors Awards Ceremony at the hotel. The program begins with a Cocktail Hour from 5:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m., followed by the Awards Ceremony from 6:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. At the conclusion of the Awards Ceremony, TIA will hold a Welcome Reception at Caesar’s Palace from 8:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.