Being a small tire dealership can provide your shop a competitive advantage over big box and large retail stores. The secret for an independent tire dealer to capitalize on this advantage is to celebrate your size, not hide it.
Corporate giants just can’t achieve the level of personal relationships that small businesses can, and it’s easier for small dealers to gain trust than a large chain.
Here are a few tips for independent tire dealers competing in a market crowded with big retailers:
• Keep a positive attitude toward making changes in business.
• Adjust your business to what the customer wants.
• Do what the big guys can’t do by focusing on niche markets.
• Start with a quality product, then gain area residents’ support and trust through community service.
• Think cooperation. Partner with other non- competing local businesses to exchange referrals or advertising materials.
• Use your expertise. Give free talks to customer groups on tire safety or maintenance.