Cooper Tire & Rubber Co. released its second annual Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainability Report. The report focuses on data and activities from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31, 2013, and is intended to meet Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) standards.
“As Cooper celebrates our 100th year in the tire industry, we recognize that our success is the product of an enduring legacy of hard work, ingenuity, resilience, an unwavering focus on the customer and a dedication to quality,” said Roy Armes, Cooper chairman, CEO and president. “Marking this milestone is a symbol of our sustainability as a company. Yet, at Cooper, we know it is our responsibility going forward to incorporate sustainable design into products; to use manufacturing and logistical processes that protect health, safety and natural resources; and to develop an environment in which Cooper people become increasingly creative problem solvers. Our latest sustainability report measures our performance in the areas of people, plant and prosperity as keys to our success in the next century, when achieving our sustainability goals will be even more important.”
Cooper’s sustainability report covers the following:
- Safety excellence system: Cooper has developed an employee safety excellence system that is the centerpiece of its “Drive to Zero” global safety campaign.
- Energy usage intensity: Cooper has reduced energy usage intensity by 15% since 2009. The company’s goal is to reduce energy usage intensity from 2012 levels by 10% by 2015.
- Water usage intensity: Cooper achieved its goal in 2012 to reduce water usage intensity by 10% by the end of 2014 as compared to a 2009 baseline. Cooper plans to further reduce water usage intensity by 20% by 2015 from the 2012 baseline.
- Landfill usage intensity: Cooper has set a target to reduce the 2012 level of landfill usage intensity by 20% by 2015.
- Sustainable tire innovation: Cooper collaborates with a number of entities and partners on tire raw materials and design, scrap tire management and other sustainability topics.
You can download the full report here.