Ed Conrad Jr., founder of Conrad’s Tire Service Inc., died Oct. 24. He was 84.
Conrad was born May 24, 1931, in Cleveland, Ohio, and graduated from St. Ignatius high school. He joined the Army in 1953 and completed his service at Fort Hood in Texas during the Korean conflict.
Conrad started his career working for his family’s former business, Conrad’s Church Goods, while he attended John Carroll University to study finance and accounting.
In 1969, he founded Conrad’s Tire Service Inc., and opened his first independent Goodyear tire store in Parma, Ohio.
In the 70s, Conrad opened another auto-parts company called Cleveland Automotive Warehouse.
Conrad eventually expanded the business to 36 locations throughout Northeast Ohio and acquired Elyria Spring and Specialty Co. and S & H Industries.
Today, Conrad’s is made up of four main companies under Conrad Companies, where Conrad’s children are all on the company’s board.
Conrad is survived by his wife of 64 years, four children, nine grandchildren, two great-grandchildren, and two brothers.