When it comes to the physical location, Platinum Performers are more likely to dedicate more space to service bays than any other portion of their physical building. The additional square footage equates to, on a median basis, two more service bays than other dealers.
Having more service bays does not equal more equipment though; Platinum Performers operate with virtually the same net array of equipment with very few exceptions.
Platinum Performers are also likelier to have smaller sales areas/showrooms (600 vs. 700 square feet) and a smaller warehouse (2,000 vs. 2,200 square feet).
The smallest space in a Platinum Performer’s dealership is typically the customer waiting area, clocking in at 400 square feet on a median basis. This could be because Platinum Performers are also more likely to offer courtesy vans (45.5% vs. 24.3%) and/or courtesy rental vehicles (36.4% vs. 7.2%), allowing customers the freedom to not wait in store.
“We have two bays dedicated to oil, lube and filter that we also do tire service in – an approach that we developed over the past 5-8 years in response to pressure from car dealerships. Getting the car up and on the rack is what drives service. And if I don’t get cars in for that regular service, I won’t get their business for more lucrative items like brakes and accessory items.” – Tripp Lee, general sales manager of Frasier Tire Service
Other Building/Equipment Details:
- The median size of a Platinum Performer location is 9,300 square feet (compared to 7,030 square feet for other dealers) – with the greatest amount of floor space – 6,000 square feet – devoted to service bays.
- On a median basis, Platinum Performers report having 8 service bays. The other dealers report having 6 service bays.
- When it comes to filling those bays with gear, Platinum Performers and other dealers are on par: brake lathes – one each; tire changers – 3 for top dealers vs. 2 for others; tire/wheel balancers – 2 each; alignment racks – 1 each; engine diagnostics systems – 2 for top dealers vs. 1 for others.
- Interestingly, less than 1.5% of all dealers responding reported having a dedicated quick oil change lane.
- 50% of Platinum Performers say their trade area ranges as far as 11 to 25 miles, nearly twice as many as other dealers (27.6%).