Toyo Tire Holdings of Americas Inc. has announced a safety recall campaign on approximately 175,000 Toyo and Nitto brand tires intended for light trucks, SUVs and vans including those used in commercial applications.
The recall campaign covers select Toyo Open Country H/T with Tuff Duty tires manufactured between November 2008 and June 2013, and select Nitto Dura Grappler Highway Terrain tires manufactured between May 2007 and April 2012.
Below are the affected Toyo Open Country H/T with Tuffy Duty:
• LT235/85R16 120Q E/10 (DOT CX 9JF41 5108 through DOT CX 9JF41 4211; DOT N3 9JF41 2010 through DOT N3 9JF41 2713)
• LT245/75R16 120R E/10 (DOT CX A3F1E 4408 through DOT CX A3F1E 4211; DOT N3 A3F1E 2310 through DOT N3 A3F1E 2513)
• LT265/75R16 123Q E/10 (DOT CX LTF31 4908 through DOT CX LTF31 4211; DOT N3 LTF31 4210 through DOT N3 LTF31 1012)
• LT285/75R16 126Q E/10 (DOT CX LFF42 5108 through DOT CX LFF42 4211)
• LT265/70R17 121R E/10 (DOT CX 7KF43 0109 through DOT CX 7KF43 4211; DOT N3 7KF43 4710 through DOT N3 7KF43 0812)
• LT225/75R17 116Q E/10 (DOT CX DXKAM 0210 through DOT CX DXKAM 1112)
• LT235/80R17 120R E/10 (DOT CX A0LCC 2111 through DOT CX A0LCC 4411)
The affected Nitto Dura Grappler Highway Terrain tires are also listed below:
• LT275/65R18 123Q E/10 (DOT CX BWEAW 3307 through DOT CX BWEAW 4211)
• LT265/70R17 121Q E/10 (DOT CX 7KEFA 2907 through DOT CX 7KEFA 4211; DOT N3 7KEFA 4710 through DOT N3 7KEFA 2012)
• LT265/75R16 123Q E/10 (DOT CX LTEAW 2207 through DOT CX LTEAW 4211; DOT N3 LTEAW 4610 through DOT N3 LTEAW 0912)
• LT245/75R17 121Q E/10 (DOT CX BXEFA 2507 through DOT CX BXEFA 4211; DOT N3 BXEFA 4310 through DOT N3 BXEFA 1812)
According to Toyo, in a small number of these recall tires, production variances in the belt package during the relevant production periods may have created conditions that may put undue stress on the belt edge. If undetected, this condition may potentially contribute to a tread/belt separation and/or loss of inflation pressure, which may increase the risk of tire failure and vehicle crash.
The recalled tires were manufactured at Toyo’s plant in Sendai, Japan, and in Kuwana, Japan.
Owners of affected tires should return to their tire dealer as soon as possible for free replacement tires. Dealers may call Toyo Tire U.S.A. Corp. or Nitto Tire U.S.A. Inc. for assistance at 800-442-8696 and 888-529-8200 respectively.